Where to Shop and What to Buy in Yangon
While Yangon may not be a world-class shopping destination, it does have many shopping opportunities for visitors. The most interesting products for sale here include textiles, clothes, silverware, lacquerware, jewelry, and handicrafts. Myanmar is well-known for its precious gem production such as rubies, sapphires and jade, and there are many gem & jewelry shops in Yangon.
The budget minded will find the best bargains at local markets. Bargaining is expected at these markets, and also when buying from street vendors. But be aware that starting prices will be higher for tourists. Brand-name products are at slightly lower prices here than in developed countries, and can be found in larger and newer shopping centres.
However, for everyday items, newer shopping centres are more expensive. Below we have listed some of the more popular places for shopping.Read More
Bogyoke Aung San Market
Formerly known as Scott Market, named after Municipal Commissioner C. Scott, it was later renamed to honour General Aung San. This is the most famous and popular local market in Yangon. The large colonial building was built in 1926, and houses some 1,641 shops selling everything you might want, including handicrafts, lacquerware, wood and ivory carvings, tapestries, silverware, brassware, silk and cotton fabrics, clothing, hardware, food, and so on.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 17:00
- Location: Bogyoke Aung San Road, between Shwe Dagon Pagoda Rd. & Shwe Bontha St., Latha Township
A popular shopping destination for local residents, the plaza is something more like an old shopping mall than a traditional market. On the ground floor there are many wholesale outlets, selling packaged food, beverages, and even pets. Shops on the upper floors sell locally made products, fashions and household appliances.
- Opening Hours: 08:30 – 17:00
- Location: Banyar Dala Street, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township
Yangon Shopping Centres
Blazon Shopping Centre
Opened in 2000, this three-floor shopping centre features upscale brand-name stores including Adidas, Esprit, Guess, Shiseido and Wacoal. This was the first shopping centre in Yangon to offer such brand names.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 21:00
- Location: 72 U Wisara Road (north of People’s Park), Kamaryut Township
This destination is the best place for those who prefer a comfortable shopping experience. Situated beside the Bogyoke Aung San Market, this air-conditioned mall is home to a number of retail outlets, making it a good place to buy fashion items for both men and women. Here, one can find Uncle Sam, KSL and Heart Rock Cafe.
- Location: 380 Bogyoke Aung San Street, Pabedan Township, Yangon.
Junction 8 Shopping Centre
Named after its location in Yangon, Junction 8’s first level houses City Mart Supermarket, a bakery and beauty salon. On both levels, there are many shops and boutiques that retail clothes, bags, shoes, cosmetics, suitcases and fabrics.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 21:00
- Location: 8 Mile Junction, Mayangone Township, Yangon.
Ocean Super Centre
For a one-stop shopping experience, this destination is the best place to visit in Yangon. The Ocean Super Centre provides the widest range of products for shoppers. Items to be purchased here include laptops and computers; electrical appliances, furniture, household utensils, fashion wear and accessories, toys and sporting equipment. The cafés and restaurants in the centre's food court offer different kinds of Asian and Western dishes.
- Location: Corner of Pyay Road and Thiri Road, Thiri Condominium, Mayangone Township, Yangon.
Sein Gay Har Super Centre
Sein Gay has shops selling clothes, electronic goods, cosmetics, shoes, stationary, and mobile phones. There is also a supermarket, a food court, a Burger Star, an ice cream shop, a Donut King, fried chicken shops, and an excellent liquor section. Somewhat the same as Taw Win Center, but a bit older, and prices are cheaper.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 21:30
- Location: 44 Pyay Rd., Dagon Township (opposite Taw Win Center)
Taw Win Centre
One of the newest and largest additions to the shopping scene in Yangon, it comprises five floors of brand-name shops, clothes, electronics, jewelry, furniture, restaurants, a super market, game centre, 3D Cineplex, promotion & events centre, and much more. It is said to have the largest book store in Yangon.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 21:00
- Location: 45 Pyay Rd., Dagon Township (south of the National Museum)
Souvenirs - Antiques - Handicrafts
J's Irrawaddy Dream
For those who are looking for locally made and dyed silk fabrics, this is a great place to go. They also have a good selection of clothes, lacquerware, handicrafts, Buddhist statues, jewelry, betel boxes, books, and more. J’s sells mostly new products, but has some old items as well.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 to 18:00
- Location: 92 Strand Road, 2nd floor Strand Hotel
- Tel: +951-392471, 243377
Nandawun Myanmar Gems & Handicrafts Centre
- Opening Hours: 9:00 to 18:00
- Location: 55 Baho Rd, Corner of Ahlone Rd, Ahlone Township
- Tel: 221271, 212409 Mobile: 09-73015993, 09-5092682
Because an outfit would not be complete without accessories, a visit to Royal Rose is necessary. Found on the east of Inya Lake, this store is known as the ultimate destination when it comes to handbags and sandals. One of its best sellers are beautifully crafted women's slippers. Foreign residents are loyal patrons of this establishment.
- Location: Inya Yeik Thar Street
Treasure Land Gems & Jewelry Souvenirs
Here you will find a good selection handicrafts, souvenirs, gems and precious stones (jade, sapphires, and rubies), jewelry, tapestry, traditional puppets, etc. Established in 1996, this shop is a reliable source of high quality gemstones and fine jewelry. Nice place, but tourist oriented.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 18:00
- Location: 11 Ma Kyee Kyee Street, Sanchaung Township
- Tel: 95-1-526286, 539241
Yangon Art Galleries
Artist's House Art Gallery
Tis is Soe Moe's art gallery.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 18:00
- Location: 657-B Mya Kan Thar 1st St, Kamayut Township
- Tel: 507033, Mobile: 09-5020450
Artist Life Art Gallery
This is U Lun Gywe gallery, he is one of the most famous impressionist artists in Myanmar.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 16:00. Closed Sunday
- Location: 409~411 Taung Ngu St., Shwe Paukkan Ward 17, North Okkalapa Township
- Tel: 695765, Mobile: 09-5010292, 09-8022464
Ayeyarwon Art Gallery
- Opening Hours: 10:00 to 16:00
- Location: 899/ 904 Ayer Wun Main Rd, Ward 58, Dagon Seik Khan Township
- Tel: 591357, 095176067, 098620260
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 17:00. Closed Tuesday
- Location: Room-27/28, 1st Floor, Saya San Plaza, New University Ave., (corner Saya San Rd.)
- Tel: 559006, 542874
Myanmar Traditional Art & Artisan Association
- Opening Hours: 09:00 to 17:00. Closed Monday & Public Holidays
- Location: 187- 192 Bogyoke Aung San St., Bogyoke Aung San Market, East Wing, Pabedan Township
- Tel: 385259
New Zero Art Space
- Opening Hours: 09:30 to 17:00. Closed Monday
- Location: 54 Bo Yar Nyunt St, (behind Bogyoke Aung San Market), Dagon Township
- Tel: 09-5000802
River Gallery exhibits the works of some 30 contemporary Myanmar artists. Open since 2005, this gallery has been giving talented local artists exposure in exhibitions in Toronto, New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Shanghai, and other venues around the world.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 to 18:00
- Location: 92 Strand Road, Strand Hotel Annex
- Tel: 243377, ext. 1821
Bagan Book House
Bagan has a very good selection of new and secondhand English-language books on Myanmar and Southeast Asia. Here, visitors can photocopy rare and out-of-print books about Myanmar.
- Opening Hours: 09:30 to 18:00
- Location: No.100 37th St. (between Merchant Rd. & Mahabandoola Rd.), Kyauktada Township
- Tel: 01-377227, 09-5117470