What to Do at Night in Yangon
Enjoying nightlife in Myanmar can be a bit of a challenge. Compared to western standards, and even compared to other Southeast Asian countries, nightlife in Yangon is rather subdued. Nonetheless, Yangon does have pubs, clubs, discos and other nightlife destinations. While there are some independent night-time establishments, most clubs and pubs in Yangon are located in five-star hotels. At some nightspots you can expect more than local beer and good music.
There are entertainment plazas that include karaoke, fashion shows, and some venues have traditional dance performances. Some nightlife venues in Yangon tend to close comparatively early (between 01:00 or 03:00), but in recent years, closing times are getting later. Entrance fees to clubs can range from USD $3 to $6, but for clubs in hotels, entrance is free for hotel guests.
Local drinking establishments are called ‘beer stations’. They offer cheaper drinks, but they are not usually frequented by tourists so you may get some attention when going to a local beer station, but people are friendly. Drinking is not culturally accepted for women in Burma, and beer stations are places for local men to drink, talk, and chew betel nut. They close early, around 21:00 or 23:00.Read More
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- Elephant Jungle Trekking & River Rafting Full-Day Tour
- Excursion to Ancient Temples
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
- Night Safari Tour
- Mountain Bike Tour with Chiang Dao Cave Visit
- 2-Day Chiang Dao Trek
- 2-Day Mountain Biking Adventure in Chiang Dao
- Overnight Segway Ride & Ziplline Tour
- White Water Rafting Adventure
ABC Country Pub
It is possible to enjoy live country-western music in Yangon. Tourists who have a taste for such genre can simply go to ABC Country Bar to listen to live performances of favourite country and western songs by the bar's resident band. This establishment also serves food and features TV screens in the bar.
- Location: 404 Mahabandoola Road, Yangon.
Asia Plaza Disco
Asia Plaza Disco is another well-known night-life destination. While it is a discotheque, this favoured night spot has more to offer than just dancing. Aside from organizing traditional dance shows, the people behind Asia Plaza also treat patrons to fashion shows, wherein beautiful models showcase one-of-a-kind collections. People can expect to see haute couture from 22:00 – 01:00
- Opening Hours: 19:00 – 01:00
- Location: 277 Bogyoke Aung San Road, Kyauktada Township, Yangon.
This particular night-life destination draws crowds in with more than just music. While BME 2 is a venue for a superb house music and amazing live performances by rock bands, its kitschy ambiance is enough to gain this nightspot a loyal following. In fact, BME 2 is a frequent hangout of the expatriate community in Yangon.
- Opening Hours: till 00:30
- Location: Beside Summit Parkview Hotel at 350 Ahlone Road.
This government-owned establishment, which has been renovated into a disco, is considered as one of the main entertainment destinations in the city centre. Because the place is popular with both locals and tourists, one can often find it packed with people.
- Location: 44 Alan Pya Pagoda Street, Yangon.
One of the hippest night-life destinations in Yangon is Mr. Guitar. Both locals and tourists frequent this iconic bar, which offers patrons impressive renditions of different genres of music, such as country, classical and rock & roll. Established by a well-known local musician, this Yangon nightspot features a great in-house band and also holds karaoke sessions.
- Highlights: 22 Sayasan Street, Bahan Township.
- Opening Hours: 19:00 – 24:00
Paddy O'Malley's Irish Pub and Sports Bar
The five-star Sedona Hotel Yangon enables both locals and tourists to experience a taste of Ireland in the city of Yangon. The Sedona Hotel is home to Paddy O'Malley's Irish Pub and Sports Bar, a great nightspot for drinking or just hanging OUT with friends. Paddy O'Malley's is one of the city's best night-life destinations.
- Location: Sedona Hotel, 1 Kaba Aye Pagoda Road, Yankin Township, Yangon.
Silver Oak Cafe and Restaurant
Probably one of the most interesting places to go to at night when in Yangon is the Silver Oak Cafe and Restaurant. This particular establishment features a beauty parlour, ice cream shop, pub and rock club.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 21;00 (Salon); 08:00 – 22:00 (Restaurant)
- Location: NO. (83/91), Bo Aung Kyaw St.,(Lower Block) Kyauktada Tsp, Yangon.
Sport Bar (Mya Yeik Nyo)
- Opening Hours: 16:00 - 03:00
- Location: No. 20. Pa Le Road, Bahan Township
- Tel: 0011 95 1 704 428
The Music Club
Another destination frequently visited at night in Yangon is The Music Club. In this place, one can dance or just enjoy drinks while listening to great music. The Music Club includes a disco and bar, and has DJs to keep the music flowing until the early hours. It can be found in the ParkRoyal Yangon Hotel.
- Opening Hours: 19:00 - late
- Location: 33 Alan Pya Phaya Road, Dagon Township, Yangon.
Those looking for a great time at night should definitely visit Underground in Sofitel Plaza Yangon. Underground is one of the premier dancing destinations in the city where you can enjoy both fun music and great drinks in this popular nightspot.
- Location: 33 Alan Pya Phaya Road, Dagon Township, Yangon.
Zero Zone Roof Top Beer Garden
For those who want to experience how the Burmese unwind after the sun goes down, this is the place to go. The entrance is on Shwe Dagon Pagoda Road, and an attendant takes you up in an old elevator to the roof. They have live dance performances, model shows, and a live band. The music is mostly Burmese pop and disco. Food includes a barbecue buffet, seafood, Chinese food, and more. Fairly good view of the city from here.
- Opening Hours: 20:00 to 23:00
- Location: Top Floor, 2 Thain Gyi Zay, C Block, Shwe Dagon Pagoda Road, Pabedan Township
- Tel: 240600 ext. 4252, 371800 ext. 351