A Little Bit of Mandalay
A visit to Mandalay will not be complete without dining at A Little Bit of Mandalay. Tourists in Mandalay should find the time to drop by, as this restaurant serves the best local dishes in the city with a wide range of Myanmar specialities.
- Location: No. 413/B, Block 803, 65 Street, between 27-28 Street, Aung Daw Mu Quarter.
Aya Myit Tar Myanmar Restaurant
Visitors to the Mahamuni Paya who find themselves hungry will be thankful for the location of the Aya Myit Tar Myanmar Restaurant. However, tourists are not the only ones who dine in this eatery; locals also frequent the place. The staff members of this two-room restaurant speak minimal English, but there is an English-language menu.
- Opening Hours: 08:30-21:30
- Location: No. 530, 81st Street.
Those looking for a taste of Western dishes should visit the BBB, or the Barman Beer Bar. Diners who want a break from rice dishes will enjoy the pastas, burgers, soups served with hot bread, and delicious barbecue chicken. The steak with mushroom sauce is a firm favourite. The two-floor bamboo restaurant has air-conditioning and ESPN on the TV sets.
- Opening Hours: 08:30-23:00
- Location: No. 292, Block 609, 76th Street, Between 26th and 27th Street.
Green Elephant Restaurant
The Green Elephant Restaurant chain is probably the most popular in Myanmar. It has three branches in the country: Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay. The one in Mandalay is one of the few upscale dining places in the city, and it is housed in a 1920s colonial house. The menu features Burmese and Asian (Chinese and Thai) dishes. The beef curry with soy paste and lime leaves is highly recommended.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-21:00
- Location: 3 (H), Block 801, 27th Street, between 64th & 65th Street, Aung Daw Mu Quarter.
Thai food can be enjoyed in almost any country, and this Thai restaurant in Mandalay definitely serves up a different kind of dining experience. The menu of this fancy two-floor restaurant includes knock-out prawn hotpot, eggplant chilli dip and crispy pork skin. The spicy catfish salad with cashews (yam pla duk foo) is a certified favourite.
- Opening Hours: 11:30-14:30; 17:30-22:00
- Location: No. 282, Block 146, Corner of 19th Street and 80th Street.
Lashio Lay Restaurant
There are a number of Shan restaurants in Mandalay, and this one serves the best food so it should come as no surprise that this two-floor restaurant is always packed. With two dozen Shan dishes on its menu, there’s enough to keep you interested.
- Opening Hours: 08:00-22:00
- Location: No. 65, 23rd Street, Between 83rd and 84th Street.
Marie-Min Vegetarian Restaurant
This Indian restaurant is rather unique as it serves everything from curries to yoghurt to Western breakfast items, but all dishes are vegetarian. The two-floor restaurant/house is known for its delicious lassis and chapattis and a very impressive aubergine dip with vegetables.
- Opening Hours: 08:00-21:00
- Location: 27th Street, Between 74th Street and 75th Street.
This restaurant is so-named because it is run by a Nepali family. As a vegetarian restaurant, the place does not serve meat or eggs or alcohol. A notable dish in this place is the thali (three types of curry served on either banana leaves or a metal plate).
- Opening Hours: 07:00-21:30
- Location: 81st Street, Between 26th and 27th Street.
Those in the mood for Chinese food should visit Oriental House. The waterfalls out the front of the restaurant welcome the guests, who will be impressed with the spaciousness of the place. It has a huge ground floor and additional seating upstairs.
- Opening Hours: 06:30-14:00 (dim sum); 17:00-21:00 (dinner)
- Location: No. 8, Block 801, Corner of 27th Street and 64th Street.
Too Too Restaurant
This dining destination offers delicious dishes at low prices. Most locals attest that this hole-in-the-wall with brick flooring is the place to go for the best traditional dishes in Mandalay. Just point at what you like (options include catfish curry, prawn fish balls and fried chicken). All meals come with rice and many condiments.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-21:00
- Location: 27th Street, Between 74th and 75th Streets.