What to Do in Yangon
Mandalay preserves the folk art of puppetry, and showcases this art form to foreigners through marionette shows and theatre performances. Much as the artists of Myanmar show their talents through puppetry, visitors can also show their talents by singing... that is in the city’s many karaoke bars.
There are a number of spas and beauty salons in the area for those who wish the ultimate in rest and relaxation. Golf lovers can also relax by playing their favourite sport with the breathtaking views as a backdrop. Lastly, nature lovers can just stroll and unwind in the picturesque garden.Read More
Marionette Shows and Traditional Theatre
A trip to Mandalay will not be complete without watching a traditional marionette play or theatre performance. In the past, Myanmar puppetry was used for purposes of art, education and entertainment. Marionettes were used to educate people about current events, traditions and literature and also served as a mouthpiece of the people. Now it is considered a dying art form that is being preserved by the likes of Mandalay Marionettes Theatre and other groups.
Mandalay Marionettes Theatre
- Opening Hours: Regular Show: 20:30-21:30
- Location: 66th Street between 26th Street & 27th Street, Mandalay
- Tel: 95-2-34446
- Location: 119/32,41st Street, Between 78th Street & 79th Street, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02- 30175
La Min Tayar
- Location: Corner of 82nd Street & 42nd Street, Shan Pwe Ward, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02- 32351
Tourists may be surprised to know that this quiet and laid-back city is actually home to this noisy pastime. Visitors can channel their inner rock star and showcase their talent in the many karaoke lounges throughout the city. The only problem is deciding which among the lounges should be chosen for the singing session. Here are three to try out.
- Location: No. 8, 66th Street, Between 30th Street & 31st Street, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02- 99060320
- Location: No. 47, 83rd Street, Between 20th Street & 21st Street, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02- 38513
- Location: 19-20, 30th Street, Between 65th Street & 66th Street, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02- 92003546
Spa/ Beauty Salons
Mandalay is similar to Yangon in the sense that both cities are great destinations for rest, relaxation and a good pampering. The city of Mandalay has its fair share of beauty salons and spas and after days of sightseeing and visiting the beautiful pagodas, tourists can end their journey on a soothing note with massages and aromatherapy.
Aye Aye Than (San Thaw Dar)
- Location: Corner of 26th Street & 86th Street, Near Aye Thu Kha Thinggan Shop, man Thiri Zay, Zegyo, Aung Myay Thar Zi Township, Mandalay.
- Tel: 0920 07438
- Location: Rm 34-35, Pan Dan, Zegyo, Chan Aye Thar Zan Township, Mandalay.
- Tel: 02 60966 ext:5378
- Location: Rm-B4, 71st Street, Between 30th Street & 31th Street
- Tel: 02 68309
Myanmar is a good place for golf lovers with tour packages specially designed for visitors who want to play. The city of Mandalay is included in some of the tour packages, mainly because of the Yetagun Taung Golf Course. The 7,020-yard, 18-hole course provides golfers with a stunning view of the Shan Mountain ranges as they tee off.
- Location: Left side of Mandalay-Maymyo Highway Road.
Myanmar’s rich biodiversity lends the opportunity for ecotourism, and Mandalay is one of the cities with an ecotourism site. The National Kandawgyi Garden or Maymyo Botanical Garden, formerly known as the National Botanical Garden, is a place that visitors should not miss as a venue for study and research regarding botany.
- Opening Hours: 07:00-17:30
- Location: Pyin Oo Lwin Township.