Where and What to Eat in Bagan
Burmese or Myanmar food is identified as the combination of different Asian styles of cooking: Indian, Chinese, Thai and the like. In Bagan, visitors can expect all these flavours and more from the city's restaurants. Foreign travellers who want to experience Burmese cuisine will have no difficulty finding it. Except for eateries which specialize in a specific kind of cuisine, almost all restaurants in Bagan serve Myanmar dishes.
Bagan is a great place for dining, particularly for those with a preference for Asian food as the restaurants often have Chinese, Indian and Asian fusion dishes on their menus. Those who like Western food will be happy to know that European food is available in select establishments.
The city is also home to many riverside restaurants. These places allow diners to enjoy noteworthy dishes and a stunning view of the river all at the same time.Read More
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Zipline Tour
- Elephant Jungle Trekking & River Rafting Full-Day Tour
- Excursion to Ancient Temples
- Full-Day Excursion to Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
- Night Safari Tour
- Mountain Bike Tour with Chiang Dao Cave Visit
- 2-Day Chiang Dao Trek
- 2-Day Mountain Biking Adventure in Chiang Dao
- Overnight Segway Ride & Ziplline Tour
- White Water Rafting Adventure
Aroma Indian Restaurant
Food lovers with a preference for Indian dishes will certainly love Aroma Indian Restaurant in Bagan. Diners love the dish selection and upon ordering they will discover how great Indian food can be. The Indian meals served in this establishment are lent a Western touch.
- Location: Yar Kinn Hotel Road, Thiripitssaya Toechet (5), Nyaung Oo.
- Cuisine: Indian
Golden Myanmar Restaurant
This roadside eatery is a certified hit with travellers. For very little you can enjoy a Burmese buffet. Diners have the option to choose either chicken, pork, fish or mutton curry, which comes with a fried 'bean stick' and fruit dessert. Because of its location, it is an ideal place for lunch for people visiting the ancient temples.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00
- Location: Beside Ananda Pagoda, Old Bagan.
- Cuisine: Burmese
- Price Range: Affordable
Mahar Bagan Restaurant
Mahar Bagan Restaurant may be relatively new, but it has already gained quite a following among food lovers. This eatery provides a very nice setting for dining, but its appeal to consumers is not solely based on ambiance. Diners can have a different kind of experience with a menu that offers Burmese, Chinese and European dishes.
- Location: Khayee Road, Khan Laung Quarter, New Bagan (near to the Chauk-Bagan Roads intersection).
- Cuisine: Burmese, Chinese, European.
Those in Bagan who want to enjoy good food at reasonable prices should visit Sarabha Restaurant. Patrons can expect plenty of local dishes, but the establishment also serves Chinese food and selected Western dishes.
- Opening Hours: 11:00-22:00
- Location: Near the Sarabha Gate, Old Bagan.
- Cuisine: Burmese, Chinese, Western
Sunset Garden Riverside Restaurant
Enjoy a beautiful meal with the extraordinary Irrawaddy River in sight in Sunset Garden Riverside Restaurant. This stylish eatery has two covered dining areas and at night, tables are set on the lawn for a better view. The bean salad is one of the best things in the menu, and a favourite among visitors.
- Location: Bagan Myothit River Side, Bagan-Nyaung Oo.
- Cuisine: Burmese
The Green Elephant Restaurant
The Green Elephant Restaurant is one of the better-known places to eat in Myanmar and has three branches: Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan. The Green Elephant Restaurant in Bagan was opened in 1997, and since then it has provided quality Myanmar food and authentic Burmese cuisine. Staple dishes include chicken and seafood curries.
- Opening Hours: 11:00-16:00; 18:00-22:00
- Location: Yamonar (river view), Thiripissayar Quarter, New Bagan.
- Cuisine: Burmese
Yar Pyi Vegetarian Restaurant
Vegetarians need not look further than Yar Pyi when it comes to dining. While the remarkable vegetarian dishes make the restaurant worthy of accolades, it is the quality service that makes people keep coming back. Foreign travellers who repeatedly go to Bagan never fail to return for another meal.
- Location: Bagan-Nyaung Oo Road.
- Cuisine: Burmese.